PHB Employee Spotlight – Joan Smith
Meet Joan Smith, CPA, a Tax Specialist here at PHB. Joan joined the PHB team in 2018 as part of the acquisition of Nestor CPA Services. Joan stays very busy helping clients with tax planning and prep, as well as other bookkeeping and accounting needs. We are so glad to have her at PHB!
Joan lives in Franklin, Tennessee, with her husband, Larry, and daughter, Lauren who is currently a senior in high school. Joan’s spare time is currently spent exploring college options and taking campus tours to help Lauren decide for next year. She also enjoys volunteering with TSCPA, attending local community events, working in her yard and spending time with family and friends.
Here are a few fun facts about Joan:
- Where is your hometown? My hometown is Greeneville, Tennessee in East TN.
- Tell us something that might surprise us about you. I made the main character costume, Mastermind, for the Franklin High Marching Band in 2016
- What is the favorite part about working for PHB? My favorite part about working at PHB is the generosity of the partners with their time and the family environment.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? My biggest pet peeve in life is dishonesty. I believe in openness and honesty, which results in trust.
- What advice would you give to recent new hires? I would recommend that new hires ask questions and really listen to the answers. Learn as much as you can from people that have been doing what you want to do.
- What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery? My parents and siblings’ freedom from debt on their homes and vehicles.
- What did you want to be when growing up? There were so many different things that I wanted to be from a teacher to an entertainer like Cher, to a world travel agent, to a nurse, but I always to be a Mom and wife.
- Do you have a favorite quote? My favorite quote is “Be excellent to each other”
- What is on your bucket list? I want to travel to Germany and Ireland to find out more about my ancestors. Also, I would like to travel to some great island beaches.
- What is the one thing you cannot resist? I cannot resist giving and receiving hugs.
- What is your hidden talent? My hidden talents would be sewing and cake decorating.
- What one food do you wish had zero calories? Zero calorie Oreos would be great!